Want to learn about the League of Independent Voters of Texas? Here's some basics. But, the best way is to get involved with LIV. Democracy is not a spectator sport, now is it?
What is LIV's mission?
Organizing millions of Texas independents, inside and outside the parties, to move Texas towards a multi-party competitive electoral system.
What is LIV's Vision?
Policy not politics • Fix problems -- not make them. • Electoral competition, not chaos!
What is LIV?
LIV is a 501c4 non-partisan, non-profit organization. Our by-laws allow for the election of up to 32 board members, representing geographic districts across Texas you may view on Districts Page here.
Does LIV Endorse Candidates?
On occasion, we endorse candidates for non-partisan races -- City Council, school boards, water boards and the like. We require a 2/3 vote of LIV members to gain our candidate endorsement in any given jurisdiction.
Does LIV Support Ballot Measures?
Yes, we support or oppose ballot measures and constitutional amendments placed on the ballot by citizen petitions and governmental authorities.
What does LIV do?
- LIV, through it membership association, provides leverage for non-aligned Texans to impact on the policy debates (or lack thereof) between officials. In other words, it gives those of us without a party, a foot in the door.
- LIV works with citizens and officials to develop policy solutions to problems affecting large numbers of Texans -- regardless of their party affiliation or ideology.
- LIV's News Blog provides original content from the perspective of non-aligned independent Texans.
- LIV's "Homegrown Petitions" program advises citizens in placing local measures on the ballot through the petition process.
- LIV advises independent non-aligned candidates on how to petition for ballot access.
- LIV's "boots on the ground" approach -- getting into the community in person and online -- is geared towards citizen activation because WE, the people, are what's missing most in decision making at all levels of government.
Slogan: Civic participation not civil war!
Theme: LIV’s cowboy theme is a reminder that we need an open range where the ideological and party fences that divide us are taken down forever in our country.
From LIV's articles of incorporation: LIV is recognized by the IRS as a non-profit, 501c4 organization dedicated to promoting the social welfare of the citizens of Texas by researching, developing, advocating and educating citizens about, legislative, regulatory and program reforms that address issues which unite Texans across party lines. LIV seeks to present Texans with alternative policy choices, including but not limited to fiscal accountability; protection of land, water and air; and electoral, initiative and referendum, and ballot access reforms.
The Culture of LIV: The accumulation of power in one place, in our view, is the problem in politics today. Therefore, LIV strives to build a new kind of organization designed to disperse, rather than to amass, power. We quickly eject (as nicely as we can) those who seek to abuse the organization for petty squabbles, self-enrichment and partisan axe grinding.
Motto: Do the work and this will set you free!
- To strive to give accurate, reliable information whether it “fits to print” for independents or not.
- To expose those working against the interests of a more open debate on policies affecting ordinary Texans.
- To level playing the field in the elections process.
- To increase electoral competition by opening up our system to more than two parties.
- To admit when we are wrong, whether someone catches us or not!
- To unite Texans – across divisions – economic, geographic, lifestyle and race, color and creed.